Jellyfish Amigurumi

on Friday, April 8, 2011

I love amigurumi.

      For those who haven't yet discovered it, it is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll.  Amigurumi are typically animals, but can include artistic renderings or inanimate objects endowed with anthropomorphic features.

I've made many amigurumi things. Here's a list of my past creations, if I can remember them all:
peas in a pod
 cupcake
bunny
apple
owl
kitten
and... this jellyfish!
which I just made the other day.

He currently lives under a hanging candle holder, and occasionally likes to relocate to other available hanging places. 

I make these little creations because 
  1. They're adorable
  2. They're fast to make (I can tackle one in a day, or a couple hours)
  3. I can understand how they are constructed
  4. I can use someone else's pattern and still make it my own, whether it be by yarn type, embellishment choice, facial expression, or hook size
  5. I have a lifelong unexplainable draw toward miniature things
  6. Inanimate objects with tiny smiley faces make me smile
  7. Crocheted food is funny
  8. Yarn is cheap
  9. Yarn is soft
  10. and I get bored very quickly.


If you've never tried amigurumi and think it's too difficult, try starting with a simple small apple first. It's a great first time project and is rewarding too. You can make it into a key chain when you're done, too. Or a necklace. Or a cat toy. Or a rear view mirror dangly. Or gift. Or a cat toy necklace key chain gift. 




Coming Up Soon    I will be posting a collection of pictures featuring past projects I've done (with an explanation of their creation), in hopes to inspire you all to get crafty ASAP! Keep your eye out for this, it's kind of a big deal. :)

Leave a Reply

Your two cents...

Subscribe Now

Copyright 2012. Powered by Blogger.